Webpage created: May 19, 2018
Webpage updated: December 22, 2021
A general view of Yelverton Station looking
GWR locomotive number 3109, later to become
4409, arriving at Yelverton Station
Yelverton Station did not exist at the time the Princetown Railway Company opened its line to Princetown in 1883. It was then known simply as Yelverton Junction as both passenger and freight trains for Princetown ran through Yelverton Tunnel to Horrabridge Station.
GWR locomotive number 4403 waiting to take the
2.50pm branch train to Princetown in June 1926.
A steam railmotor with a Down train at
Yelverton Station, probably in the 1920s.
An unidentified class 45xx brings an Up
The Great Western Railway Company had provided a siding here, on the Down side, which required the opening of the first Yelverton Signal Box circa 1876 when the London and South Western Company's trains started to use the Launceston Branch south of Lydford Station to access Plymouth.
An expectant crowd of passengers on Yelverton
An Up milk train pauses at Yelverton Station
in August 1958.
The Station, at 7 miles 37 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction, was opened on May 1st 1885 and in addition to having Down and Up platforms had, at an angle, a separate platform for the Princetown Branch trains.
A Down train awaits the arrival of an already
signalled Up train at Yelverton Station.
A turntable of 23 feet 6 inch radius was provided, mainly for turning the snow-ploughs that had to be used over the Princetown Branch during the winter months.
Changing ends at Yelverton, by gravity, as the
carriages run back into the Branch platform
On Weekdays and Sundays, 'where train service permits', commencing on May 1st 1953, the following cheap day return tickets, first and third class, were available from Yelverton Station to: Coryton, 5 shillings (s) 9 pence (d) 1st, 3s 9d 3rd; Devonport Albert Road, 4s 1st, 2s 9d 3rd; Keyham, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd; Launceston, 8s 3d 1st, 5s 6d 3rd; Lifton, 6s 9d 1st, 4s 6d 3rd; Lydford BRWR, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd; Plymouth North Road Station, 3s 9d 1st, 2s 6d 3rd; Saint Budeaux Ferry Road, 4s 9d 1st, 3s 3d 3rd; Saltash, 5s 1st, 3s 6d 3rd; and Tavistock South, 2s 3d 1st, 1s 5d, 3rd.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Yelverton Station dealt with passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, horse boxes, and prize cattle vans. It was not equipped with a crane.
British Railways locomotive number 4401 waits
to take the branch train to Princetown in August 1953.
The Princetown Branch trains wait to depart
while loco number 1408 is on its way to Tavistock with a single railcar.
Princetown Branch trains ceased to use Yelverton Station on or as from March 5th 1956 and Yelverton Signal Box was closed on or as from May 4th 1959, after which both Down and Up trains used the Down platform.
An empty and rather sad looking Yelverton
Yelverton Station was closed to passenger traffic on and as from December 31st 1962, when the Launceston Branch closed.