Webpage created: May 20, 2018
Webpage updated: May 20, 2018
YELVERTON SIGNAL BOX
The first Yelverton Signal Box was opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1876, when a refuge siding was installed on the Down side of the line at a time when the trains of the London and South Western Railway Company were also using the Launceston Branch south of Lydford Station to get access in to Plymouth. There was no station here at that time. The Box, which was built by Messrs Saxby and Farmer, consisted of 24 levers.
Presumably the Box was already equipped to deal with the arrival in 1883 of the Princetown Railway Company's line to Princetown and the opening on May 1st 1885 of Yelverton Station as there is no record of any extension taking place.
That Box was replaced in 1892 by a Great Western Railway model containing 35 levers. It measured 25 feet 1 inch by 12 feet.
Yelverton Signal Box was closed on or as from May 4th 1959 and all trains used the Down platform until the closure of the Launceston Branch on or as from December 31st 1962.