OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 26, 2019
Webpage updated: September 11, 2019

        

-

WILLIAM JAMES VICKERY (1844-1924)

Mr William James Vickery inherited the drapery and outfitting business set up by his younger brother, Mr Walter Vickery, at 26 and 27 Bedford Street, 8 Cornwall Street, and 32 Russell Street, Plymouth, some time before 1891, when Walter moved from Plymouth to Shrewsbury.  William, who had  been born in 1844 at Langford, Burrington, Somerset, had gained a great deal of experience as a commercial traveller for a large company before arriving in Plymouth.  

The 1891 census shows William and his Exeter-born wife, Eliza, living over the shop with their five children, an assistant and a 17-years-old domestic servant by the name of Miss Emily R Hardy.  The eldest son, Master Albert William Vickery, also assisted his father.

Keen to take part in local politics, he stood as a candidate for Frankfort Ward in 1897 and he defeated Mr John Goad by only one vote.  However at the next Council election in 1900 he was defeated by Captain F S Willies and the same happened again in 1903, after which he no longer took an active part in politics.  He was, however, co-opted on to the Museum and Free Library Committee.

At the time of the 1901 census, he had moved to number 38 Whiteford Road and left his eldest son, Mr Albert William Vickery, in charge at number 26 Bedford Street.

Mr William James Vickery died at number 11 Polworth Road, Streatham, London, on Saturday April 12th 1924, at the age of 81.  During his life Mr Vickery had been treasurer of the Plymouth Liberal Association, a Justice of the Peace for Devon County, and had been a churchwarden of the Anglican Church of Saint Augustine at Lipson Vale until he moved to Elburton to live. 

The business was left in the hands of Mr Albert William Vickery and his younger brother, Mr Walter Carter Vickery.