OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 02, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 02, 2017

        

-

ELIZA TYETH'S GIFT

Ms Eliza Tyeth, by her will dated November 12th 1883, proved in the Principal Registry on August 7th 1886, gave to her trustees the sum of 1,000, free of duty, 'in aid of the establishment of or in purchasing furniture for or endowing .... the Devon and Cornwall Homoeopathic Hospital'.  She further directed that until such time as the Hospital should be established, the trustees must invest the sum and accumulate the interest.

The Hospital had already been founded back in 1859 and in 1883 moved into premises in Flora Place, Plymouth.  In 1893 they moved to new premises at number 15 Lockyer Street.  Prior to that, in 1891, the trustees paid the accumulated sum of 1,113 to the trustees of the Hospital.  The money contributed greatly to the total cost of 1,232 of adapting the building for use as a Hospital.