Webpage created: March 31, 2018
Webpage updated: March 31, 2018
PLYMOUTH, DEVONPORT AND DISTRICT TRAMWAYS ACT 1882
On July 24th 1882 The Plymouth, Devonport & District Tramways Act received the Royal Assent. It authorised the formation of a Company of that name, of which the principal promoters were named as Mr John Freeman, Mr Paul Wallace Sharp and Mr William Fairmaner. The tramways were to be constructed to a gauge of 3ft 6ins and no carriage used on the tramway was to exceed 5ft 6ins in width.
Before the Company could make a start on any of the proposed tramways it was required to deposit certain moneys with the respective Corporations of Plymouth and Devonport. Firstly it had to prove that £30,000 worth of capital had been properly issued and accepted. Secondly, it had to deposit in joint accounts held with the respective Corporations, £6,000 in the case of Plymouth and £4,000 in the case of Devonport. During the progress of the work, the money could be repaid to the Company in proportion to the work carried out.
Line 1, 1½ miles in length, was to start outside the Globe Hotel Tap in Russell Street and and terminate in Tavistock Road at the end of Compton Lane.
Line 2, 4½ miles long, would start at the end of line 1 in Russell Street but run eastwards as far as Plympton, where it would terminate in the yard of the Plymouth Inn in the Ridgeway.
The third tramway, one mile in length, would start at a double junction with line 1 in Russell Street and line 2 in Cornwall Street. From there it would run to Grand Parade Road, terminating in front of the West Hoe Pier.
Line 4, just a half a mile long, would start at Princess Square and terminate at the south end of the Brunswick Inn, Southside Street.
Tramway 5, 1½ miles long, would start at a junction with line 1 in Russell Street and run via Pennycomequick to Fore Street, Devonport, where it would terminate at the corner with Princes Street.
The sixth line, only ¾ mile in length, would start at the junction of Deadlake Lane and Wingfield Villas, and then run to Albert Road, Stoke, terminating outside the Railway Inn.
Line 7, ¾ mile long, would start at the junction of Lower Stoke Road and Trafalgar Place, and run to a point in Stoke Road at the north end of Donegal Place.