Webpage created: June 25, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 25, 2017
THEATRES AND CINEMAS IN OLD PLYMOUTH
THE PANTHEON or VAUXHALL THEATRE
Sometime in the 1840s what had been the Old London Inn in Vauxhall Street, Plymouth, was used for musical concerts and known as the Pantheon. In order to avoid having to get a stage play licence, it advertised that the performances were for private amusement only and that tickets should be purchased in advance as no payment would be taken at the door.
It was later taken over by a Mr J Telfourd, who renamed it the Vauxhall Theatre. He charged 1 shilling for seats in the pit and 2 shillings for those in the boxes and he employed Police Constables 'to preserve the strictest order'.
By 1890 the Vauxhall Theatre was once again known as the Old London Inn.