Webpage created: July 04, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 04, 2017
GARRISON CHURCH OF SAINT KATHERINE THE VIRGIN-UPON-THE HOE
The Anglican Church of Saint Katherine the Virgin-upon-the Hoe is situated within the walls of the Royal Citadel and is the Garrison Church of the Royal Artillery.
Saint Katherine's Chapel was first mentioned in 1370 in the register of Bishop Brantyngham, Bishop of Exeter. It was a chapel-of-ease to the main Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew's.
It is said that the Chapel was first licensed for worship on February 17th 1371/72.
In around 1590-1591 the Chapel was enclosed by the walls of Drake's fort and from then onwards was a garrison church.
The present building was erected at the same time as the Royal Citadel (1668) and was visited by HM King Charles II in 1671. The building was enlarged in 1845.
The altar plate was given by Mr Louis Dufour, who also had the statue of King George II erected on the Citadel Green.
During the Second World War the Garrison Church of Saint Michael and Saint George in Cumberland Road, Devonport, was destroyed and its stained glass window was rescued and placed in Saint Katherine's. It was dedicated in 1955.
In the summer of 1959 a music master at a local school rounded up some of his pupils to form a choir at the Church.
It is claimed that this was the last building belonging to the Church of England in which Requiem Mass was celebrated, when the body of a distinguished foreigner was brought here.