Webpage created: February 01, 2018
Webpage updated: February 01, 2018
WHIMPLE STREET POST OFFICE
The Whimple Street Post Office, on the corner of that Street, facing Saint Andrew's Church, was erected by a company of shareholders in 1848 at a cost of £3,000.
It was designed by Mr O C Arthur after the style of the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli, Italy. Part was let as offices but the post office and post-masters residence was rented by the General Post Office for 75 years at £100 per annum.
The Postmaster at that time was Mr Charles Markes.
It was subsequently replaced by the Westwell Street Post Office.