OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 23, 2021
Webpage updated: April 23, 2021

        

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD PLYMOUTH

CAMBRIDGE STREET

Cambridge Street, Plymouth, ran from the junction of King Street and Frankfort Street northwards across Morley Street to Oxford Place.

Apart from the licensed premises - the Cambridge Inn at number 24, the Crown Vaults Public House at number 56, the Red Lion at number 72, and the Cambridge Arms - the only prominent buildings were the motor garage of Mr George William Sanders (later Messrs G W Sanders (Plymouth) Limited) and numbers 28 and 29  and the premises of Messrs Uglow's Bakeries Limited at numbers 63 and 64 on the eastern side of the Street.  Both survived the Blitz.

The Old Barley Sheaf Public House was actually in King Street, to the left of the picture,
but is included here because the photograph shows number 1 Cambridge Street, on the right,
the Plymouth Co-operative Society's hairdressers.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

Number 82 Cambridge Street, the Cambridge Arms, August 9th 1954.
The chalk signs on the outside indicate it closed on August 8th 1954.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

One interesting occupier of Cambridge Street in 1951 was the Universal Book Stores, founded by Mr Peter Evans, which was at number 27, next to Mr Sanders' garage.