Webpage created: January 22, 2019
Webpage updated: January 22, 2019
What was Plymouth's Pig Market in 1765 became the Borough's premier shopping venue, Bedford Street. This ran from the southern end of Old Town Street, outside of Sain Andrew's Church, to the junction of Frankfort Street, Russell Street and Cornwall Street, at what had been Frankfort Gate.
Looking east along Bedford Street, with
Westwell Street running off to the right.
It is no coincidence that one of the adjoining roads was called Russell Street, as that was the family name of the Dukes of Bedford, from which Bedford Street took its name. It was just a fashionable name to use at the time, following the completion of Bedford Square in London in 1785.
Another view looking eastwards along Bedford
The Prudential Building
rather dominated Bedford Street.
Cooke's Pocket Plan of the Three Towns, published in 1827, shows the highway between Westwell Street and Russell Street as being named Frankfort Place. This is confirmed by Whitfeld. As a result there were no occupants listed for Bedford Street in 1812 but Frankfort Place was recorded.
Looking west along Bedford Street to the
Prudential Building and Frankfort Street.
In 1903 the Globe Hotel was replaced by the Prudential Building.
Bateman's, the opticians, was on the site of Plymouth's other but less famous "Island House".
The Westminster Bank in Bedford Street survived the Blitz,
Bedford Street was destroyed in the Second World War and is now remembered only in Bedford Way, the pedestrian passage which runs from Royal Parade to New George Street. It is roughly on the line of the old Market Alley, which later became the Bedford Arcade.
For a list of the occupants of Frankfort Place in 1812 CLICK HERE.
For a list of the occupants of Bedford Street in 1852 CLICK HERE.