Webpage created: June 27, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 03, 2017
CAPTAIN ROBERT RAWLIN'S GIFT
By his Will dated February 15th 1626, Captain Robert Rawlin (sometimes Rawling or Rawlyn) gave the following:
However, although it transpired that in 1634 £3 was paid out to the almshouse for butter, £2 was paid to the warden of Compton Gifford, and ten shillings was distributed to the parishes named above, no record could be found in 1821 of any legacy having be paid over to the Mayor and Corporation and no further payments either to the poor or other recipients could be traced.
The overseer's records for 1818 indicated that gifts had been made in Compton Gifford in sums varying between 2s 6d and one shilling but there were no entries for the years 1819 and 1820. The compilers of the Report were informed that this was because the person responsible for passing out the gifts had become insolvent and his accounts were therefore not maintained. The gifts themselves had been distributed in the usual way.
During the investigation in September 1820 it was discovered that the overseers for the tything of Weston Peverell had neglected to apply for their gift of ten shillings per year and there was as a result an arrear of 31 years. It is interesting to note that the treasurer of the Hospital of the Orphans' Aid did not make the payment automatically but had to receive an application. Such application was made in 1821 and it was expected that the arrears would be paid in full. It was to be distributed 'amongst the poor persons, or their representatives, who would have received this donation if it had been more regularly paid, provided they remain proper objects of the charity'.
The goods and chattels were appraised on February 26th 1626 by Mr John Jope and Mr Richard Culyn, both merchants, and their value amounted to £2,076 6s 8d.
By an Order of the Charity Commissioners dated October 20th 1905 the Elemonsynary Charity of Robert Rawlin was combined with others to form one single scheme. For this purpose £340 of Consols stock was to be placed in an account held by the Hospital of the Orphans' Aid and the yearly income used to make payments of ten shillings to the parishes already listed and £2 to Compton Gifford, making a total of £5 10s.
The payment to Compton Gifford was regulated by an Order of the Charity Commissioners dated February 2nd 1900 by which the vicar and churchwardens of Emmanuel Church became the Trustees. The Charity Commission Report indicates that during the year ended March 31st 1908, ten shillings had been given to somebody called Ackland for a coffin for an infant; 15s had been paid to someone called Betts for milk and other provisions; and 7s 6d had been paid for attendance upon an old couple called Llewellyn.
In the case of the parish of Eggbuckland, it was stated at the Inquiry in January 1821 that the overseers of the poor received £1 a year from the borough treasurer of Plymouth in respect of Captain Rawlin's Gift and this, along with money from Lanyon's Gift, was distributed in bread on two Sundays after Christmas each year to all those poor of the parish who apply for it. The quantities were apportioned by the trustees according to the number of applicants and the size of their families.
At the time of the Inquiry in April 1910 the Gifts were being administered by four trustees: Mr B Corber; Mr J Downes; Mr J H Leader; and Mr G Hoskins. The distribution was then in both bread and flour and was carried out around Easter instead of Christmas. There had been 34 recipients for the last distribution.