Webpage created: May 20, 2018
Webpage updated: February 23, 2019
TAVISTOCK SOUTH SIGNAL BOX
Tavistock South Signal Box, October 1964.
On March 1st 1876 two small signal boxes were opened at Tavistock Station to cope with the additional traffic to be brought by the trains of the London and South Western Railway Company when they started to use the Launceston Branch south of Lydford Station to gain access to Plymouth. They were both supplied and equipped by Messrs Saxby and Farmer and were named Tavistock "A" and Tavistock "B".
They survived until 1895, when the new Tavistock Signal Box was opened by the Great Western Railway Company at the Plymouth end of the Up platform, 12 miles 69 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction. It had 37 levers and measured 30 feet 5 inches by 12 feet.
It became Tavistock South Signal Box upon nationalization on and as from September 26th 1949 to distinguish it from the former Southern Railway's one, which became Tavistock North Signal Box.
Passenger trains ceased to call at Tavistock South Station on and as from December 31st 1962. However, the section between Lydford Station and Tavistock South Station was retained for goods traffic only and from June 15th 1964 the Signal Box was reduced to Ground Frame status.
Tavistock South Signal Box was closed completely on and as from July 27th 1964, the line itself being closed on and as from September 25th 1964.