Webpage created: June 01, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 01, 2017
RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH | SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY
As from January 1st 1923, when the London and South Western Railway Companywas amalgamated into the Southern Railway Company, the LSWR Turnchapel Branch became the Southern Railway Turnchapel Branch.
Turnchapel Station and Turnchapel Signal Box were completely destroyed by fire during the bombing of the adjacent Admiralty oil storage depot on November 27th 1940. The ensuing blaze was potentially disastrous and three firemen were killed trying to keep the oil tanks as cool as possible to avoid a catastrophic explosion. The fire was not put out until December 1st 1940, leaving twisted metal in place of rails and signals. However, the railways were not daunted by such experiences and by December 16th services were back to normal, supported by new temporary buildings which in fact remained until the line's closure.
Plymstock Signal Box was set a fire by incendiary bombs during the Plymouth Blitz in 1941 and a temporary replacement was opened on October 12th 1941. It ceased to be "temporary" and lasted until the closure of the line.
Following the nationalization of Britain's railways on January 1st 1948 the Southern Railway Company's Turnchapel Branch became the British Railways Turnchapel Branch.