Webpage created: May 19, 2018
Webpage updated: January 25, 2022
SHAUGH BRIDGE PLATFORM
Shaugh Bridge Platform was opened at 4 miles 79 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction by the Great Western Railway Company on August 21st 1907. Shaugh Bridge and the nearby Dewerstone Rock were popular recreational areas and there were Boy Scout campsites in the area as well.
Shaugh Bridge Platform. Note the
BRWR number 5531 with train for Plymouth,
April 21st 1960.
At one time it had a privately run Refreshment Room.
Shaugh Bridge, over the River Plym, was a favourite recreation area during the summer months, and but a short walk from the station.
On Weekdays and Sundays, 'where train service permits', commencing on May 1st 1953, the following cheap day return tickets, first and third class, were available from Shaugh Bridge Platform to: Devonport Albert Road, 3 shillings (s) 6 pence (d) 1st, 2s 3d 3rd; Keyham, 3s 9d 1st, 2s 6d 3rd; Plymouth North Road Station, 2s 9d 1st, 1s 9d 3rd; Saint Budeaux Ferry Road, 3s 9d 1st, 2s 6d 3rd; Saltash, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd; and Tavistock South, 2s 9d 1st, 1s 9d, 3rd.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Shaugh Bridge Platform dealt only with passenger traffic.
Although the Shaugh Bridge nameboard is still
in situ the shelter and lamps have been removed.
Shaugh Bridge Platform was closed to traffic on or as from December 31st 1962.