OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 14, 2018
Webpage updated: May 30, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  TURNCHAPEL BRANCH
BRANCH LINE, FRIARY STATION TO TURNCHAPEL STATION

ORESTON STATION

Oreston Station, at exactly 2 miles from Plymstock Station, was opened on January 1st 1897.

Oreston Station looking towards Plymstock.
  Lens of Sutton.

It had minimum facilities and was no more than a halt.  A siding was subsequently provided on the Up side, behind the Station, for the use of Messrs F J Moore Ltd.  It was operated by means of the Train Tablet.

Bayly's Ground Frame and Timber Yard Siding were at 2 miles 26 chains.

According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Oreston Station, which included Bayly's Siidng, dealt with goods traffic, parcels, and miscellaneous traffic.  It was not equipped with a crane.

Oreston Station was closed to passenger traffic on or as from July 2nd 1951 and to freight traffic on or as from September 30th 1961.