Webpage created: September 27, 2017.
Webpage updated: September 27, 2017
MOUNT GOULD JUNCTION SIGNAL BOX
Mount Gould Junction Signal Box was on the Down side for trains from Friary Station to North Road Plymouth Station, 440 yards from Friary Junction Signal Box and 110 yards from Lipson Junction Signal Box. It initially controlled the main line from Lipson Junction that enabled LSWR trains to access Friary Station (known as the Plymouth Number 1 Curve), the Goods Lines from Laira Yard, and the Plymouth Number 2 Curve to Cattewater Junction Signal Box that allowed the Great Western Railway Company to access its Yealmpton Branch. The latter line crossed the old Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway.
The Signal Box was of Great Western Railway Company construction and was opened around March 1891, when it had 25 levers, of which 15 were working ones. When the Number 2 Curve was opened in 1898 the number of working levers was increased to 29. The only changes that took place during its existence were the fixing of the Distant Signals in about 1918 and the installation of a detonator placing machine.
Hours of opening as from November 4th 1957 until further notice: Weekdays - 6am until 10pm.
The line between Mount Gould Junction and Cattewater Junction, Plymouth Number 2 Curve, was closed to traffic in 1958.
During 1959 the operating floor and windows of the Box were lowered by about three feet and the old frame was replaced with a 45-lever one in order to connect to the new carriage sidings in Laira Yard. The frame was placed at the rear of the Signal Box instead of at the front. At the same time Friary Junction Signal Box was closed and replaced with a small ground frame unlocked from Mount Gould Junction Signal Box. In 1960 Mount Gould Junction Signal Box became a fringe box to to the Plymouth Panel Box. New connections were installed to the new diesel depot in 1961. In 1962 an additional lever was provided to operate the barriers on the level crossing giving access to the depot from The Embankment. A switch was installed in 1969 to operate the new carriage washing machine that was installed on the former Down Main Line.
The signalling instructions provided that the "Is Line Clear?" bells must be sent to the box in advance as soon as ist was received from the box in the rear.
Mount Gould Junction Signal Box was closed on or as from November 10th 1973.