OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: June 03, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 03, 2017

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  LONDON AND SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY

CATTEWATER BRANCH

The branch railway from Friary Station to Cattewater Junction Signal Box on the Turnchapel Branch and then to Cattewater Wharves and Victoria Wharves was originally proposed by the Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway Company on behalf of the London and South Western Railway Company, who operated the line from its opening in 1880.  In 1888 the LSWR Cattewater Branch was extended to its final terminus at Victoria Wharves.

In 1923 the line became the Southern Railway Cattewater Branch.