OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 09, 2018
Webpage updated: April 09, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  MAIN LINE, BRENT STATION TO PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY)

LIPSON VALE HALT

Lipson Vale Halt, which was located to the rear of the Anglican Church of Saint Augustine in Lipson Vale, was opened by the Great Western Railway Company on June 1st 1904 in connection with their new railmotor service from Plymouth Station (Millbay) to Plympton Station.  It was also used by their trains on the Yealmpton Branch.  The Halt was 245 miles 09 chains from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads.  Both platforms were accessed from the road up to Lipson Farm and Ashford Road.

The Halt ceased to be used by trains on the Yealmpton Branch after the Branch's closure to passenger traffic on July 7th 1930.  Thereafter, only the Southern Railway Company's local stopping trains between Friary Station and Tavistock Station used to stop.

As the wooden platforms were deemed a fire risk during the Second World War, Lipson Vale Halt was closed on or as from may 4th 1942 and quickly dismantled.