Webpage created: April 03, 2018
Webpage updated: January 21, 2022
Ivybridge Station, which was between Bittaford Platform and Cornwood Station, was recorded in 1955 as being 235 miles 13 chains milepost mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads. The ruling gradient approaching Ivybridge Station was 1 in 67 falling and continued towards Cornwood Station at 1 in 129 falling.
Down trains were restricted to 40mph, and ^Up trains to 50mph, between 234¾ milepost and 235¼ milepost (and ^vice versa) through Ivybridge Station.
The South Devon Railway between Totnes Station and Laira Green Temporary Station on the outskirts of Plymouth, including Ivybridge Station, was officially opened to both passenger and goods traffic on May 5th 1848. It was single line as far as Hemerdon Junction, except at the stations.
Ivybridge Station looking towards
The Great Western Railway Company opened the new double the line between Ivybridge and Blachford (sic) Viaduct on June 11th 1893. The remainder of the line between Blachford (sic) Viaduct and Cornwood Station was opened as double line on November 19th 1893. That was the fifth and final section of the main line to be doubled.
According to the Great Western Railway Company's official "Traffic Dealt with at Stations and Depots", published circa 1936, in the calendar year 1903 Ivybridge Station issued 39,832 railway tickets, dealt with 511 parcels and took in total income £11,941. During the calendar year 1913 Ivybridge Station issued 33,263 railway tickets, handled 366 parcels, and took in total receipts of £12,565.
During the calendar year 1923 Ivybridge Station issued 23,340 railway tickets plus 321 season tickets, dealt with 672 parcels, and took in total receipts of £18,665.
From May 1932 Ivybridge Station staff took over responsibility for the accounting at Cornwood Station.
On Weekdays and Sundays, 'where train service permits', commencing on May 1st 1953, the following cheap day return tickets, first and third class, were available from Ivybridge Station to: Brent, 2 shillings (s) 3 pence (d) 1st, 1s 5d 3rd; Dawlish, 10s 1st, 6s 9d 3rd; Dawlish Warren, 10s 6d 1st, 7s 3rd; Devonport Albert Road, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd; Keyham, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd; Kingsbridge, 6s 1st, 4s 3rd; Newton Abbot, 7s 6d 1st, 5s 3rd; Paignton, 10s 1st, 6s 9d 3rd; Plymouth North Road Station, 3s 9d 1st, 2s 6d 3rd; Plympton, 2s 6d 1st, 1s 8d 3rd; Saint Budeaux Ferry Road, 4s 9d 1st, 3s 3d 3rd; Saltash, 5s 3d 1st, 3s 6d 3rd; Teignmouth, 9s 1st, 6s 3rd; Torquay, 9s 1st , 6s 3rd; and Totnes, 4s 6d 1st, 3s 3rd.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Ivybridge Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 6 tons.
British Railways closed Ivybridge Station to passenger traffic on or as from March 2nd 1959 and to goods traffic on or as from November 29th 1965.