OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: May 20, 2018
Webpage updated: May 20, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  LAUNCESTON BRANCH
BRANCH LINE, PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY) TO LAUNCESTON STATION

HORRABRIDGE SIGNAL BOX

Horrabridge Signal Box was opened at 8 miles 77 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction by either the South Devon Railway Company or the Great Western Railway Company on October 25th 1875, prior to the use of the Launceston Branch by trains of the London and South Western Railway Company the following year.  It was constructed by Messrs Saxby and Farmer and had 16 levers.

Unusually on the Launceston Branch, it was never replaced by a newer Box and survived until closure of the Branch and Horrabridge Station on and as from December 31st 1962.