OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 09, 2018
Webpage updated: April 09, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  MAIN LINE, BRENT STATION TO PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY)

HEMERDON JUNCTION SIGNAL BOX

The South Devon Railway between Totnes Station and Laira Green Temporary Station on the outskirts of Plymouth, was officially opened to both passenger and goods traffic on May 5th 1848.  It was single line as far as Hemerdon Junction, where the line doubled for the remainder of its course in to Plymouth.  This required points and signals and consequently what the Ordnance Survey called in 1854 a "Signal House".  Its location has been given as 238 miles 55 chains from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads.

With grateful acknowledgement to the late Mr Laurence 'Larry' William Crosier (1929-2010) of the Great Western Railway Company (1943-1947);
British Railways (1948-c1994); the Plymouth Railway Circle, the Lee Moor Tramway Preservation Society, and the Signalling Record Society.