Webpage created: June 02, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 03, 2017
RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH | GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY
SUTTON HARBOUR BRANCH
The railway line from Laira (Crabtree) to Sutton Harbour was originally laid by the Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway Company and was, of course, to their gauge of 4 feet 6 inches. During the 1850s the line between Laira and the Harbour was acquired by the South Devon Railway and converted for operation with steam locomotives. The Branch opened for goods traffic on October 1st 1857.
As from February 1st 1876 it became the Great Western Railway Sutton Harbour Branch.
On January 1st 1948 the railways were nationalized and the Branch then became the British Railways (Western Region) Sutton Harbour Branch.
There was also a British Railways (Southern Region) Sutton Harbour Branch that ran to Sutton Harbour from Friary Station.