Webpage created: May 24, 2018
Webpage updated: May 12, 2019
DOUSLAND BARN SIGNAL BOX
Tony Kingdom, the author of "The Princetown Branch", published in 1979, refers to the fact that the signal box on the platform of Dousland Station carried the cast-iron nameplate "Dousland Barn Signal Box". That name was originally given to the Signal Box at the level crossing over the road down to Meavy Village and Burrator Reservoir. That Box was opened by the Princetown Railway Company when their line was opened on August 11th 1883. It had a 16 lever frame and was the only block post between Yelverton Signal Box and Princetown Signal Box.
In 1915 that Box was downgraded to a Ground Frame and the block instruments transferred to a new Signal Box built on the platform. This was to enable the Porter/Signalman to cover the Station as well as the signalling. He only needed to go to the Ground Frame when a train was in the vicinity. It would seem that the nameplate was moved to the new Signal Box at the time. There is no evidence that the old Box had any name at all after that.
The new Box measured 17 feet 2 inches by 14 feet 3 inches at its widest point and had a 14-lever frame. The section to Princetown Signal Box was worked by train staff and tickets until circa 1896 when the system was changed to the Electric Train Staff.
In 1891 the 23-years-old Signalman, Mr James W Cox, was lodging with the Station Master and his family.
It is understood that Mr Henry Maddox was the Signalman at Dousland Barn Signal Box circa 1943 and Mr Jim White was the Porter/Signalman there at the same time.
Dousland Signal Box was closed on and as from March 5th 1956, when the Princetown Branch closed.