OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 26, 2018
Webpage updated: April 26, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY
MAIN LINE, BRENT STATION TO PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY)

CORNWALL JUNCTION SIGNAL BOX

The first Cornwall Junctiopn Signal Box was built by Messrs Saxby and Farmer in 1876 for the Cornwall Loop that enabled the London and South Western Railway Company's trains that had come from Lydford via Tavistock and Bickleigh, to gain access to their terminal station at Devonport.

In connection with the improvements to Plymouth Station (Millbay) and the quadrupling of the line, a new Cornwall Junction Signal Box was brought into operation by the Great Western Railway Company on July 2nd 1899.  It was located  at 246 miles 26 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads.  The Box had 39 levers and measured 30 feet 5 inches by 12 feet.  The Distant signals from both North Road West Signal Box and Devonport Junction Signal Box were fixed at caution.

From Cornwall Junction towards Plymouth Station there were Down and Up Main Lines and Down and Up Goods Lines.  The former led into Platforms 2 and 3, with connections to a short Platform 1 and a full-length Platform 4.  The Goods Lines led direct to the Goods Depot and Sidings.  It was possible to access the Plymouth Great Western Docks Branch from both.

The length of the Down Goods line between Cornwall Junction and the fouling point at Belmont Carriage Sidings was stated to be 300 feet.  It could accommodate 14 wagons, or a short freight train of 9 wagons plus engine and van, or 4 tender locomotives.  The Up Goods line was 348 feet in length and had capacity for 16 wagons, 12 wagons and engine and van, or 5 tender engines.  The Goods lines were operated under Permissive Block Regulations.

"Is Line Clear?" for Down and Up trains was to be sent as soon as received from the box in the rear.

In 1912 the frame was completely re-locked because of the installation of a turntable at North Road West.

In October 1958 the former Goods Lines leading to the Docks were re-designated as the Main Lines.

Cornwall Junction Signal Box close on or as from November 26th 1960 when the Plymouth Panel Box was opened.

 

  With grateful acknowledgement to the late Mr Laurence 'Larry' William Crosier (1929-2010) of the Great Western Railway Company (1943-1947);
British Railways (1948-c1994); the Plymouth Railway Circle, the Lee Moor Tramway Preservation Society, and the Signalling Record Society.