OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 17, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 17, 2017

        

EDUCATION IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  PLYMOUTH SCHOOL BOARD

PLYMOUTH SPECIAL INSTRUCTION SCHOOL

On January 25th 1898 a Special Instruction School was opened at the Treville Street Board School in Plymouth.  It was to provide special instruction to pupils suffering from blindness, deafness, epilepsy and those who were slow of mind or body, which were known as "defective children" at that time.   This advancement followed the passing of the Elementary Education (Blind and Deaf Children) Act 1893 but pre-dated the introduction of the Elementary Education (Defective and Epileptic Children) Act 1899.

Over the next few years the number of pupils increased steadily and by 1900 stood at 78 children.  In addition to the Headmaster there were four assistant teachers.  In August of that year the School moved to premises in Ham Street (later known as Ebrington Street), where on November 23rd 1900 it was given a certificate by the Board of Education under section 2 of the Elementary Education (Defective and Epileptic Children) Act 1899.  It is presumed the premises were the Sunday School attached to the Wesley United Free Methodist Chapel as there were no other school buildings in that road.

In January 1903 the School transferred to Salisbury Road Council School.  There were four classes under the supervision of the Headmaster, five assistant teachers and one visiting teacher.