OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: October 24, 2021
Webpage updated: October 27, 2021

        

EDUCATION IN OLD PLYMOUTH

PLYMOUTH SCHOOL OF NAVIGATION

The Plymouth School of Navigation was opened on October 24th 1862.

Mr John Merrifield (1834-1891) PhD FRMS FRAS, a native of Peter Tavy, near Tavistock, Devon, and previously the master at Mary Tavy National School, was the first master of the School.   He was awarded a Doctorate by the University o Philadelphia, and a Fellowship of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Meteorological Society.

Doctor Merrifield seems to have retired through ill health in 1889 or possibly 1890 as the census taken on Sunday April 5th 1891 indicates that his assistant master, Mr Charles Morris FRMS (1852-1929), was now in charge of the School.

In 1919 Mr William John Liddicoat (1881-1938) became the head master.

From its foundation until 1922 the Plymouth School of Navigation was located at 13 Gascoyne Place, off North Street, Plymouth.

In 1922 the School moved to the former Durnford Hotel, in Durnford Street, East Stonehouse, which it shared with the Plymouth Junior Technical School.

A decade later, in 1932, it was merged with the Plymouth and Devonport Technical School, becoming a section of the Department of Mathematics and Physics.

At this point Lieutenant-Commander E E Frost-Smith RNR (retired) became the lecturer in charged.