Webpage created: January 29, 2021
Webpage updated: January 30, 2021
The Plymouth Mutual Co-operative and Industrial Society Limited opened a laundry in Langstone Gardens, Langstone Road, Beacon Park, in 1911. It was at that time in the Borough of Devonport. Ownership was transferred to the Plymouth Co-operative Society Limited in 1916 and to the Plymouth and South Devon Co-operative Society Limited in 1969.
It was almost destroyed by fire on the evening of Saturday August 1st 1959. The alarm was raised by 11-years-old Master Malcolm Stewart, who spotted the fire from his Grandmother's house near the laundry. He the assisted Mr J Bond, of 284 Beacon Park Road, push ten vehicles out of the blazing garage so as to avoid their petrol tanks catching alight and exploding.
In April 1965 plans were announced to transform the laundry site into a petrol filling station but this was not carried out
The Co-op laundry closed on June 6th 1981.