OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 02, 2018
Webpage updated: August 02, 2018

        

WATER SAFE TO DRINK  |  PLYMOUTH LEAT (DRAKE'S LEAT)

ROBOROUGH RESERVOIR

A small reservoir was constructed in 1885 on the Plymouth Leat (Drake's Leat) alongside the Tavistock Road at Roborough, in the Parish of Bickleigh, and was named the Roborough  Reservoir.

During 1908 a 24-inch diameter water main was laid from Roborough Reservoir to Crownhill Reservoir to supplement the existing means of supply.  The work was carried out by the Borough water engineer, Mr F Howarth, and was completed within the estimate of 13,317.

Between November 1915 and October 1917 a new 33-inch water main was installed between Burrator Reservoir and the Roborough Reservoir.  This was capable of delivering 14 million gallons a day as compared with the average daily consumption of 11 million gallons.  The work cost 60,000 and used 4,613 tons of cast iron pipes and 28 tons of steel pipes.