OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 02, 2018
Webpage updated: August 04, 2018

        

WATER SAFE TO DRINK  |  PLYMOUTH LEAT (DRAKE'S LEAT)

CROWNHILL RESERVOIR

A reservoir was constructed in 1852 just to the north of the village of Knackersknowle, in the Parish of Saint Budeaux, and was named Crownhill Reservoir after the property on the crown of the hill, alongside the Tavistock Road.

During 1908 a 24-inch diameter water main was laid from Roborough Reservoir to Crownhill Reservoir to supplement the existing means of supply.  The work was carried out by the Borough water engineer, Mr F Howarth, and was completed within the estimate of 13,317.

A 12-inch diameter pipe fed water from here to Hartley Reservoir for onward transmission to Drake's Place Reservoirs in Plymouth.