Webpage created: April 07, 2021
Webpage updated: April 07, 2021
PLYMOUTH HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
Plymouth High School for Girls is situated in Saint Lawrence Road, Plymouth.
Following the holding of a Social Science Congress in Plymouth in 1872, some promoters of higher education in the Town formed the Devon and Cornwall Girls' School Company in February 1874.
They started the school for girls in Sherwell House, North Hill, Tavistock Road, Plymouth. It was officially opened by the Bishop of Exeter on Monday September 14th 1874. Seventy pupils had enrolled.
It was, however, intended that the school should have its own premises and for this purpose a fund had been set up in order to raise money to purchase a suitable site. Land surrounding the detached property known as North Hill was chosen and the first part of the School was opened there by the Bishop of Exeter, Doctor Frederick Temple, on January 21st 1878. North Hill House became the home of the head mistress, Miss Kendall.
The new building was designed by a Mr Paull and erected by Messrs Blatchford of Tavistock. £3,000 was expended on the purchase of the site and a further £10,000 on the buildings.
In 1914 Miss M P Potter was the head mistress.
In 1937 Miss V Turner BA was the head mistress.
North Hill House (in the ancient parish of Saint Andrew's) was demolished in 1939 for the construction of a new wing. During the Second World War the school kitchen provided around 500 meals every day to the British Restaurants located in the City.
In the mid-1970s the School expanded into the adjacent block that had been built in 1878 for the South Devon and Cornwall Blind Institution.