OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: March 01, 2018
Webpage updated: March 01, 2018

        

PLYMOUTH GREAT WESTERN DOCKS

CUSTOMS HOUSE

The Plymouth Great Western Docks Company was formed under the authorisation of the Plymouth Great Western Docks Act, which received the Royal Assent on August 18th 1846.  The Docks Company had secured the services of Mr Isambard Kingdom Brunel to design the Docks.  As engineer to the South Devon Railway Company, the Cornwall Railway Company and the Great Western Railway Company, he was keen to ensure that when the railway finally reached Millbay in 1849 it would be linked to the Docks as quickly as possible.

This was achieved quite quickly as by 1850 the track had been laid as far as the Millbay Pier, even bridging Thomas Gill's entrance to his dock.  In 1850 the Docks was granted Customs facilities and an octagonal Customs House designed by local architect Mr George Wightwick was built.  Later that year the Pier Hotel was completed.  Between the two was the main entrance for pedestrians.

The Customs House is a Grade II Listed Building and has been converted for use by the crew of the Plymouth Lifeboat.