Webpage created: September 10, 2017.
Webpage updated: September 10, 2017
In 1909 some empty premises at number 27 Ebrington Street, Plymouth, were turned into what was known as the American Roller Rink. Then in July 1919 plans were announced by the Parliament Picture House Company Ltd to convert the rink into a cinema and skating rink.
Admission cost 6d, 9d, or 1s 3d for adults and 3d or 6d for children. Its most noteworthy feature was the corrugated iron roof that tended to make a terrible noise when it rained hard. Originally it just had an orchestra but later on an organ was purchased from Saint Peter's Church at Croydon, Surrey, and was used in broadcasts on the BBC's 5PY station.
Messrs Denmam Picture Houses took over the Palladium in about 1927 and introduced the first "talkie", "Behind that Curtain", on Monday September 30th 1929.
Mr Eady gave up licence in 1932 when it was transferred to a Mr Percy Gibson who in turn passed it on to Mr E W P Peall, of Gaumont-British in London, a year later. Mr Eady had, in fact, been made manager of both the Palladium and the Savoy when they were taken over by the Gaumont Picture Corporation Ltd. So successful had his management of the Palladium been that what had been started for a cost of £1,600 nine years previously was sold to the Gaumont Company for over £60,000.
RAC Photophone equipment with a fluid flywheel was used at the Palladium to ensure a constant speed. The screen was reputedly 150 feet away from the projection box and the projectionist had to use binoculars to focus the film on the screen. Mr Bert J Cattell was its last projectionist.
The Palladium was destroyed in the Plymouth Blitz of March 1941.