OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: October 12, 2021
Webpage updated: October 12, 2021

        

PLYMSTOCK

PLYMSTOCK WORKHOUSE

Between 1823 and 1825 the old Poor House alongside Plymstock Parish Church was replaced by a new workhouse in what is now Stentaway Road.

When the local minister, the Reverend James Lampen Harris, wrote to the Duke of Bedford's agent in London in November 1827 thanking him for financial assistance towards putting a ceiling in the attics, he reported that there were 26 adults and 18 children in residence.

The Plymstock Workhouse did not last very long, however, as the inmates were transferred to the Plympton Union Workhouse when it was opened and the property was converted into five cottages.  A first floor room in the largest cottage was used by the Poor Law administrators and one on one morning every week they used to hand out one shilling and a loaf of bread to the needy.