Webpage created: October 13, 2021
Webpage updated: October 13, 2021
LOUGHTOR CORN MILLS
The Loughtor grist and corn mill was located on the Tory Brook, in Holly Wood, just to the south-east of Newnham Park, in the ancient parish of Plympton Saint Mary.
Loughtor Mill certainly was in existence before 1731, when it was mentioned in the papers of the Strode family of Newnham.
Devonport-born Mr Andrew Moore was the miller here at the time of the 1851 census. He was assisted by his son, also Andrew, aged 25. With them lived Andrew's wife, Amy, plus their other children, Emily, Elizabeth, Francis, John, Lydia, and Mary Jane, the youngest at just four years old. Twenty-eight-years-old Prsicilla Sollick, from Bickleigh, was a general servant and 14-years-old William Perkings was their agricultural labourer.
Messrs John Tregillus and Son were millers here from around 1858 until 1913, when Mr Sydney Tregillus took his family off to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to join his older brother. Mr John Tregillus was the son of the miller at Meavy. He and his wife, formerly Miss Emma Dawe, had 11 children, of whom 10 made it to adulthood.
Loughtor was the only mill still listed in the Plymouth area by the outbreak of the Second World War, when Mr Sydney Gulley was the miller. In the early 1950s Loughtor Mill House was occupied by Mr Charles Robert Gulley, who presumably was Sydney's son.
|With acknowledgement to Mr Robert Tregillus in Canada, a great-grandson of Mr John Tregillus.|