Webpage created: June 18, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 18, 2017
MOTOR BUS SERVICES IN OLD PLYMOUTH
SOUTHERN GENERAL OMNIBUS COMPANY Ltd
Messrs Hopper and Berryman were proprietors of the Saint Mary's Garage at Plympton, from where they ran a frequent motor bus service into Plymouth.
In Plymouth Mr Clarence Mumford, son of Mr William Mumford, the founder of Messrs W Mumford Ltd, motor engineers, was looking to expand his business. He eventually seems to have taken over the Hopper & Berryman business and in March 1929 registered it as a limited liability company, HB Buses Ltd, which later that year entered into an agreement with the National Omnibus & Transport Company and Devon General Omnibus & Touring Company to jointly work various motor bus services.
As from February 3rd 1930 HB Buses Ltd became the much grander Southern General Omnibus Company Ltd, which upset the London General Omnibus Company Ltd.
Routes from Plymouth being operated at that time were:-
The Company operated many other routes from Totnes and solely in Cornwall.
On July 7th 1930 the Company issued a timetable and fares booklet, using the new fleet name of "Blue Line".
However, only two months later Mr Mumford was in talks with the National Omnibus & Transport Company in London which, after much discussion, resulted in the Southern General Omnibus Company being taken over by National on March 30th 1931 although vehicles painted "Southern General" were still used on services in the Plymstock area until December 1st 1931, when all references to Southern General disappeared from the timetables.
The Southern General Omnibus Company Ltd was not officially wound up until 1933.