OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 05, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 05, 2017

        

-

MILLER'S ALMSHOUSE

In about 1655 Alice Miller paid for an almshouse to be erected in the churchyard of Saint Andrew's.  It consisted of ten rooms and would accommodate twenty people.  In 1660 she endowed it with 10 a year from her 22-acre estate at Broadley, which was then let for 25 per year.  By her Will, dated August 30th 1664, she left the estate to her cousin, Mr Richard Burdwood, who in turn passed it on to his son, James.  By March 1681 this financial support was already in arrears and as a consequence the almshouse was 'for the most part waste and unoccupied, and encumbered beyond the value of the inheritance', James Burdwood conveyed the estate to the Mayor and Commonalty, who in 1720 were renting it out for only 6 per year.

Miller's Almshouse was sold, along with Fownes's Almshouse and Prynne's Almshouses, in around 1803.