Webpage created: September 29, 2019
Webpage updated: April 07, 2022
Millbay Barracks was built circa 1794 to house prisoners-of-war.
Milbay Barracks on the right, foreground.
A description of the Barracks published in "The Picture of Plymouth", published in 1812, reads:
Close by the Barracks was the Millbay Prison for prisoners of war.
The site was later used, in the 1870s, for the headquarters of the 2nd Devon Volunteer Corps and a huge drill-hall was built for them.