Webpage created: July 05, 2017
Webpage updated: June 30, 2018
"TIN PAN ALLEY"
"Tin Pan Alley" was the name given to the temporary market stalls erected by Plymouth City Council in Drake Street, between the "back of the Market" and Old Town Street. These were for the use of former stallholders who had been displaced from the Pannier Market, presumably by the likes of Messrs Marks & Spencer and F W Woolworth.
Work started on erecting the stalls at the beginning of October 1941, having been delayed by the need to secure a license to obtain the necessary steel. Not surprisingly, the traders were not happy about it. They felt that by the Council doing the work it was jeopardising the rights and liberties of the owners of the sites. Some local authorities had erected corrugated-iron sheds for their traders, free of cost, and they themselves could have erected their own at a cost of £100 each. The stallholders claimed that by the Council doing the work it 'deprives the owners of liberty of action and the right to deal with their own property'. They even criticised the closure of Drake Street to become a Market as the problem could have been solved easily by knocking down the northern wall of the Pannier Market into the former Sugar Refinery.
The well wrapped up author
and his Gran
The demolition of "Tin Pan Alley" started on February 11th 1952.