OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 29, 2018
Webpage updated: August 29, 2018

        

-

JEWISH CEMETERY

The first Jewish burial took place in a private garden at Lambhay Green, by Plymouth Hoe.  It was owned or leased by Mrs Sarah Sherrenbeck, the wife of Mr Joseph Jacob Sherrenbeck.  This is thought to have taken place in 1748.  As the Jewish community grew it became necessary to provide a proper burial ground and in June 1758 another quarter acre of ground adjacent to the Sherrenbeck's property was purchased.  When a further extension was required in 1811, the land was conveyed to three local Jewish men, Mr Abraham Emanuel, of Plymouth Dock; Mr Michael Nathan, of Plymouth; Mr Benjamin Levy, of Plymouth, an optician; and a prominent non-Jew, Mr John Saunders, of Plymouth.  At that time non-Jewish people were included in deeds and trusts in case there was a legal problem over the rights of the Jews to own the land or property.

When further expansion was required in 1868 a plot of land in the Compton Gifford area was purchased and a proper chapel was erected.  The first internment in the Jewish Cemetery was Councillor William Woolf on December 3rd 1872.