OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 05, 2021
Webpage updated: April 05, 2021

        

EDUCATION IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  PLYMOUTH LOCAL EDUCATION AUTHORITY 1903-1914

HOLY CROSS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL

In 1871 Gasking House was purchased for the Sisters of Charity and the Orphanage of Saint Teresa.  A part of the garden was set aside for a school and this was opened on May 3rd 1872.

Forty children were admitted on the first day and the teaching was provided by the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Following the introduction of the Education Act 1902, which brought about the Plymouth Local Education Authority, the School became the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Elementary School.