Webpage created: July 14, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 14, 2017
GUNNERSIDE SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
Gunnerside School for Girls was a private boarding school situated at 31/32 Torrington Place, North Road East, Plymouth.
It was founded in June 1860 by the Misses Groves. At that time it was known as an "Educational Home for Young Ladies" and fields of corn could be seen from some of the form-room windows.
In 1888 it passed into the hands of Miss Elizabeth H Stranger, who remained the Principal for 21 years. It offered a course of instruction that approximated to that required in secondary schools by the Board of Education.
Then in 1909 it was taken over by three sisters, Miss Hilda M, Miss Bertha and Miss Marion Phoebe Stranger. It was in 1923 that the school became recognized by the Board of Education as an efficient secondary school for girls.
The School was evacuated at the beginning of the Second World War but only two or three pupils took advantage of that and many of the children from the outlying areas simply transferred to other schools. On June 18th 1941 it was announced that the School was to close down. There was a very active "Old Girls" Association and many of the members went on to serve in the War.
It is not yet known where the name "Gunnerside" came from.
Miss Marion Phoebe Stranger died at her home, number 4 Torrington Place, Plymouth, in August 1954. After a service at Sherwell Congregational Chapel, of which Miss Stranger had been a member since 1902, her body was cremated at Efford Crematorium on Wednesday August 4th 1954.