Webpage created: July 17, 2017
Webpage updated: April 03, 2020
FREDERICK STREET BOARD SCHOOL
The Frederick Street Board School in Frederick Street, Plymouth, was sometimes known as the King Street Board School.
This was presumably the entrance to Frederick
Street School, 1960s.
It was purchased in 1872 from the Ragged Schools Association for £2,014 (another source says it cost £2,032 18s 2d.). It accommodated 175 boys and 175 infants although the premises were quite early condemned by HM Inspector of Schools and in 1879 a new wing was under construction to provide extra rooms for 57 boys and 72 infants.
By the end of that year there were 260 boys and 265 infants on the registers and an average attendance of 201 and 238 respectively.
In 1888 the Master was Mr James Fox Ruse and the Mistress, Mrs Minnie Tozer.
A proposal was made in 1890 to enlarge the School to accommodate a further 90 boys. However, Saint Peter's National School had vacancies and offered to take any boys that King Street could not accept for either a penny per week, or even for nothing. As a result the scheme was abandoned.
Looking over the wall at the
rear of Frederick Street Elementary School, 1960s.
Just before the Board Schools were handed over to the Plymouth Local Education Authority in 1903, Mr Ruse was still the Master but the Mistress was Mrs Annie Powe. There were 254 boys and 240 infants attending at that time.
From then onwards it was known as the Frederick Street Elementary School.