OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: September 29, 2019
Webpage updated: September 29, 2019

        

-

FRANKFORT BARRACKS

In 1794 Shepherd's woollen manufactory behind Frankfort Place in the heart of Plymouth was turned into a barracks.

The earliest published description of them appeared in "The Picture of Plymouth" in 1812:

'Frankfort Barracks are close to the town, in the western part of it; they are capable of holding about 700 men, but they have no apartments for officers: they were originally built for a sail-cloth manufactory, but this concern not answering, the building was sold to Government, and converted into barracks.  There is a large enclosed parade behind the barracks, in which is an hospital for sick soldiers.'