Webpage created: July 05, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 05, 2017
Fox's Cottages or Almshouses were in Windsor Street, on the northern side directly opposite the Windsor Arms Public House.
By his will dated August 23rd 1809, Mr Francis Fox left £1,200 for the purchase of a site and erection of six almshouses in Plymouth. The bequest was invalid, however, and as a result the money went to his main benefactor, Mr William Dillworth Crewdson. Although the almshouses were said to have been built in 1834, it was by means of an indenture dated June 11th 1840 that the land was conveyed to the trustees for £215 and it would seem that the almshouses were then erected. Although known as Fox's Almshouses they were in fact erected at the instruction of Mr Crewdson.
The cost of the purchase of the land and the building of the cottages exhausted the funds and it only thanks to further charitable gifts from Mr William Dillworth Crewdson, Sarah Crewdson and Lydia Prideaux, that the almshouses were maintained.
Each Cottage had two rooms and although there were only six cottages they were to accommodate twelve poor women over the age of 50 years and who had resided in the Borough for at least twelve months. The inmates were appointed by Miss Harriet Richardson, one of the trustees, with the consent of the other trustees, Doctor Charles Albert Hingston, Mr George Hingston and Mr Arthur Edward Pridham. Although the trustees were appointed from with the Religious Society of Friends, there was no requirement for the residents to belong to that organisation.
The inmates were expected to have their own means of financial support but about £20 per year from the supporting charities was divided among them.