OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: July 05, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 05, 2017

        

-

FOWNES'S ALMSHOUSE

A deed dated 1628 records that Mr Thomas Fownes had just erected an almshouse containing thirteen rooms on land between Bedford and Basket Streets, opposite Saint Andrew's Church.  It accommodated twenty-four 'decayed and aged people' and in September 1656 was being supported by an endowment of 100, plus interest, from a Mr Timothy Alsop. 

The almshouse passed into the hands of the Board of Guardians in 1708 but exactly a century later it was pulled down, having been allowed to become dilapidated due, it was claimed, to a lack of an endowment.  The ground was sold to the Corporation for 500 as portion of a site for the erection of a hotel and theatre, the money being put into the Workhouse.