Webpage created: September 17, 2018
Webpage updated: September 17, 2018
EGGBUCKLAND CHANTRY OR CHARITY SCHOOL
In 1778, according to a tablet in the ancient parish church of Saint Edward's, Eggbuckland, the local landowner, Mr Peter Culme, gave 3% reduced annuities to the value of £100 towards the upkeep of a small school in the parish. It was variously known as the Chantry or Charity school. This produced £3 per annum, which was paid to the schoolmaster as part of his salary, the remainder being made up from private subscriptions.
The School does not appear to have had its own building as lessons were understood to have taken place in the vicarage.
It would appear that this School was still functioning 1848 when the incumbent, the Reverend George Hunt, transferred some land under the School Sites Act for the purpose of erecting a proper school building. This became the Eggbuckland National School.