OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: June 26, 2018
Webpage updated: June 26, 2018

        

-

COBOURG STREET

Cobourg Street used to run from the junction with Saltash Street, Pound Street and Rowe Street westwards to Boon's Place and Belle Vue Terrace at the crossroads with North Road.  It should be mentioned that the land upon which Cobourg Street stands was outside the Borough Wall until it was removed at the beginning of the 19th century.  Today (2018) it is the main road linking the junction with Tavistock Road, outside the City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery building, to North Cross roundabout and includes the stretch that used to be Pound Street.

Her Royal Highness the Princess Charlotte, the only child of His Majesty King George IV, married Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg in 1816.  Both were very popular and the death during childbirth of the Princess in 1817 was seen as a national disaster.  The name Cobourg Street first appears on a map of Plymouth in 1827.

Plans were announced on July 2nd 1931 to place a bus station on the land to the south of Cobourg Street.  It never materialized.

On June 13th 1936 OD 7811, an omnibus owned by the Western National Omnibus Company Limited, crashed in to private car BUU 499 and then into a house in Cobourg Street.

During January or early February 1945 the members of the City Council's Reconstruction Committee viewed the vista over Plymouth Hoe from the top of the garage premises belonging to Messrs Reeds' (Plymouth) Limited.

The Nissen Huts that had been erected in Cobourg Lane and Richmond after the end of the War were removed during November 1956.

Businesses in Cobourg Street in 1953:-

Number 4 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by the Millbay Laundry, Cleaning and Dyeing Company Limited receiving office.

Number 5 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs W and T Avery Limited, weighing machine makers.

Number 6 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs John Taylor and Sons (Plymouth) Limited, leather and machine belt merchants.

After crossing Milton Street, Number 7 Cobourg Street was occupied by Mr R K Hart trading as Messrs A J Harvey, pork butchers.

Number 8 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs W F Jary and Son, boot repairers; Mr A L Babcock, trading as Systemax, office equipment dealers; and Messrs Henry Vincent Limited, clothiers.

Numbers 8 and 9 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs J Sanger and Son Limited, wholesale electrical goods merchants.

Number 10 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr S Knowles trading as Motorparts, motor car accessories dealer.

Number 11 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by the ladies' department of Messrs Le Brasseur Surgical Manufacturing  Company Limited.

Number 12 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr H Rose trading as Plymouth Pet Stores.

Number 14 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs H A Hutchins and Sons, dairymen.

Across the other side of Richmond Street, Number 15 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr William B Carveth, butcher.

Numbers 16  to 20 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by private residents.

Number 21 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mrs N Mumford, general stores, and Messrs Horswell Estates, auctioneers, estate agents and valuers, properties managed, insurances effected and mortgages arranged.  Their telephone number was Plymouth 61727.

Number 22 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by a private resident.

Number 23 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by a guest house run by Mrs F E Wolny.

Number 24 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr John H Symons, shoe repairer.

Number 25 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr F G March, trading as J H March, builder.

Number 26 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by a private resident.

Number 27 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs H and B Credit Traders, credit drapers.

Numbers 28, 29 and 30 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by private residents.

Number 31 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by the Collectors Exchange Limited, stamp dealers.

Numbers 32 to 35 Cobourg Street were not occupied in 1953 and may have been derelict.

Number 36 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs G P Skinner (Blinds) Limited, blind manufacturers.

Number 37 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mrs A S Phipps and Mrs N C Woodmancy trading as Lavinia, ladies' outfitters.

Number 38 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs Hallett and Whitton Limited, builders' merchants.

Numbers 39 to 43 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by private residents.

The junction of York Street (left) with Cobourg Street in 1960.
The Newtown Hotel was the last building in York Street.
  Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery.

Crossing York Street, Number 46 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr Frank Edward Friend, Post Office and stationer.

Here was Gloucester Lane.

Number 47 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by the Baby Imperial Restaurant.

Number 48 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr S Potter, ladies' hairdresser.

Number 49 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs George Pill and Partners, radio dealers.

Number 50 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr Harold George Tozer, dairyman.

Number 51 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mrs Q A Eddy, confectioner and Mr Arthur Edwards, boot repairer.

Number 52 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr Sydney Collecott, fruiterer.

Number 53 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr William A Culliford, cooked meats retailer.

Number 54 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr Alfred Ernest Pinwell, newsagent.

Number 55 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs Condy U'ren and Son, chemists.

Number 56 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs T Doidge and Sons, butchers.

Number 57 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs S Stephens Limited, bakers, after which was Boon's Place and then North Road.

Returning back along the northern side, first came Belle Vue Place, between North Road and Albany Place, before continuing as Cobourg Street.

Number 71 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Miss Hilda M Haddon, house furnishers.

Number 72 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr George Crosswood Valentine Richards, tailor.

Number 73 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs Sweet, Sons and Davey, monumental masons.

Number 74 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs Costers Limited, outfitters.

After crossing John Lane, Number 75 and 76 Cobourg Street were occupied in 1953 by Messrs Reed's (Plymouth) Limited, motor engineers and Ford car distributors;

Number 77 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mrs E Reese, trading as Anne Tudor, milliner.

Number 78 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Miss D Taylor, trading as Dorothea, ladies' hairdresser, and LAPT International Association for the Promotion and Protection of Trade Limited.

Number 79 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Messrs H C Mudge and Sons, Builders (Plymouth) Limited.

Number 80 to 89 Cobourg Street were occupied in 1953 by private residents.

Number 90 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by The Times General Supply Company (Plymouth) Limited, loans from 5 to 50.

Number 91 Cobourg Street was empty in 1953;

Number 92 to 93 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by private residents;

Number 94 Cobourg Street was occupied in 1953 by Mr Robert C H Norgate MB ChB BAO, physician and surgeon, and a Mrs Saunders.

The unnumbered building on the corner with James Street was occupied in 1953 by the offices of the Plymouth Local Education Committee, headed by Mr Andrew Scotland MA PhD, and their Youth Employment Bureau, headed by Mr J E Clark, youth employment officer.

Between James Street and the end  of Cobourg Street at Rowe Street were the Public Secondary School for Boys, Mr A C Williams MSc PhD, headmaster, and Public Secondary School for Girls, Miss R Shaw BA, head mistress.