Webpage created: September 28, 2018
Webpage updated: September 28, 2018
BURLEIGH SECONDARY MODERN SCHOOL
Burleigh Secondary Modern School was built on the site of Burleigh House, off Tor Lane at Peverell, Plymouth. It no longer exists.
Burleigh House had been vacated at the commencement of the Second World War and became the District Manager's Office for the Ministry of Labour and National Service. The former stable were used for a local greengrocer's horse and cart.
The plans for a school, costing £119,336, were considered by the Council on September 20th 1951. It was designed by the City Architect's Department.
At first some HORSA huts were erected for the use of Hyde Park Secondary Modern School. Later some of the rooms of Burleigh House were taken over as well.
A new building was opened in 1955, when it became Burleigh Secondary Modern School. It comprised a two-storey block with a single-storey one at the rear. It had no design merits whatsoever and was typical of the buildings being erected around Plymouth at that time. It contained ten ordinary classrooms, three of which were allotted to music, technical drawing and geography.
School dinners were cooked on the premises but were served in the entrance lobby doubling as the dining room. There was an assembly hall, an art room and one of the HORSA huts contained two housecraft rooms. The second hut provided three classrooms for science, needlework and a general teaching room for forms 1C and 2C. There were also two Nissen huts but it is not clear when they were erected.
Burleigh Secondary Modern School was one of ten new schools in Plymouth declared officially open by the Minister of Education, the Right Honourable Sir David Mcadam Eccles KCVO MP, on Friday June 15th 1956. The ceremony was actually held at the then Penlee Secondary Modern School, at Stoke, and was in the presence of the Deputy Lord Mayor, Alderman T H Watkins, and the Director of Education, Doctor Andrew Scotland. The School had accommodation for 500 pupils at that time.
Eventually Burleigh House was demolished to make way for new playing fields for the School. By the 1960s there were 585 boys and girls on the register.
Owing to falling numbers, the School was closed July 1990 and demolished the following month. The land was sold to Clark Homes and is now the site of the Burleigh Manor Estate.