OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 01, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 01, 2017

        

THE BARBICAN

ADMIRAL MacBRIDE PUBLIC HOUSE

Admiral John MacBride, after whom this public house was named, was the Member of Parliament for Plymouth between 1784 and 1790 and he is credited with getting through Parliament a Bill to construct the pier that stands outside the front of the Pub and, with the eastern pier, helped to make Sutton Pool a much safer place for mooring ships.  He lived at Leigham House, well outside the Borough, at that time.

The Pub is thought to have been erected about the same time and a Patrick Shea is recorded as the licensee in 1798.