Webpage created: June 27, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 27, 2017
By a deed poll dated August 20th 1619, Sir John Acland directed that the Mayor, Recorder and two senior aldermen of the Borough of Exeter should pay the sum of £2 12s to the Mayor of the Borough of Plymouth for the weekly provision of 13 loaves of bread to 13 of the poorest people in the Borough.
This money was paid out of a sum of £35 2s received by Exeter from Sir John Acland's estate.
In 1821 the Charity Commission found that the £2 12s was in fact being paid to the churchwardens of Saint Andrew's Church and it was being distributed by them annually, not weekly, on Lady-day, when sixpenny loaves were being given to the poor of Saint Andrew's parish. The Commissioners were critical of the fact that this benefit was being confined to Saint Andrew's parishioners and did not include those of Charles parish within the Borough boundary. The names of those to receive the bread were apparently announced in the Church on the Sunday preceding Lady-day.
At the beginning of the twentieth century this money was still being received by the churchwardens of Saint Andrew's, who combined it with other income to form a sum of £41 7s 8d that was distributed amongst the Blanket Society and the Vicars of five Plymouth parishes (but still excluding Charles).
In the year 1907 the Vicar of Saint Andrew's Church applied his £14 8s 8d in distributing food by tickets through the agency of district visitors. The Vicars of Christ Church and Holy Trinity used their £3 3s 5d to distribute coal, groceries, bread and meat by tickets. The Vicar of Saint Peter's received £8 14s 6d, which he passed to the Sister in charge of Saint Peter's Mission House to distribute amongst the sick and poor of the parish. In the parish of Saint James the Less a committee administered the £2 7s 7d that the Vicar received.